Sunday, March 30, 2008

After 5 long years...

Now I know why I've always thought that in Cebu, Ramos would always be my comfort zone. I have been living in Ramos for the past 6 years of my stay here in Cebu and despite the fact that I currently work in Banilad, I still opted to stay in Ramos. Many of my friends have been cajoling me to transfer to other places, to leave my dorm (which has a 10PM curfew on weekdays) and such but despite the fact that I also did want to do so, I couldn't bring myself to just do so!

It all started when I decided to drastically change my lifestyle. I had to lie low on a lot of things that I was used to doing. Going out with friends, watching flagfootball...etc. I had to do it because I was going through something and I just wanted to become a better and stronger person. I was already bracing for the consequences. I thought that maybe my friends would think that I abandoned them. I thought that maybe they would not understand. I thought that separating myself from the lifestyle that I was used to living would make me a lonelier, more introvert person. I tell you, I was scared to get away from what I was used too. But I had to. (Why? Long story.)

So here I was, hanging out at my place, watching TV, expecting to be a boring person for the time being. Then I decided to eat at Nomad's Garage. It's this newly opened eating place located very near my dorm. It used to be a garage--thus the name. Now this place was owned by a couple of the guys from Ramos. I've been living in this area for 5 years and their faces were already very familiar to me. I did not know them by name though because they seemed to be a very exclusive group of tambays. With that in mind, I was pleasantly surprised when they invited me over to chill and hang out with them. Now instead of sulking in my room, I was like, "What the heck."

A couple of hangouts, mite bites, bottles of coke and a towel as trophy later, here I was, fanning the barbeque grill, serving rice, giving change and just simply having the time of my life at Nomad's garage. I am honestly overwhelmed by the fact that the people I am hanging out and having a blast with right now are the people that I just used to see everyday.

God is really good. Just when I thought that undergoing a separation from the lifestyle that I was used to would be a very challenging task for me, He comes up with a brilliant idea of sending me new friends who did give me a 360 degree turn on life experiences.

Now about my other group of friends, I am thankful that we are still good. They understand. And thank you guys for understanding. I really do appreciate it.

As for my plans of leaving Ramos? Well, that feels like a gazillion years ago. :)

No comments: