Monday, June 23, 2008

Who ever expected this would happen to PANAY...

When you're safe and ok, and you find out that your family is not THAT ok, what do you do? When Frank hit Cebu, we WERE ok here. I even went to soccer practice with my neighbors despite the strong winds. But we were good. No major floods. No water shortage. Just some fluctuation in the electricity but no blackout or whatsoever happened.

So when I found out (thanks to technology) through the blog of Ms. Titil yesterday about what happened in Iloilo, I was alarmed. I also read the bulletin post of my Aklanon friend who is now in the States about how bad it was in Aklan. I did not get any messages from my family because they were too busy taking care of everything there, what with everything that was happening.

So I texted my brother and asked him if he was ok (because he was in Iloilo). He said he was but that our house in Kalibo was not. I tried calling dad and mom but I couldn't get through. It would just ring once and I would get cut off. I was also thinking maybe they were low bat because there was no electricity. Finally I received a message from my dad.

"We're ok here. But we are all living like refugees in the second floor of our house. The 8FT flood ruined our 1st floor including our appliances. Two of our neighbors are staying with us because there houses were flooded up to the roof. No water. No electricity. Goods are sold on black market prices. A mineral water bottle that would usually cost P20 now cost P80. We just ate 1 day expired bread. No mass was celebrated at the church yesterday because it was flooded by 6FT."

And because there was no electricity, they couldn't widthraw from the ATM.

How would you feel? What would you do? I had a lot of questions in my mind. How did it happen. That was unusual in Kalibo. It never happened to Kalibo. 8FT??? HOW?

I was here. I was ok.

Good thing I got my comission. I went to the grocery and bought whatever it was that I could buy...rice, water, canned goods, noodles...even potato chips for my dad (which he requested). Our church here in Cebu also helped and they would send the goods together with mine via freight to Kalibo. We are trying to send as many as we can because my family will also be sharing it to other members of our church who's experiencing worst things than my family is experiencing right now.

I still did not know how it happened. And now after reading San's blog, I finally understood. All of Panay experienced it. Many others lost their homes. It is a great thing that my family is safe--I know they could survive the water and food shortage for now. I really do hope my supplies get to them in time.

I don't know when electricity and water will be restored...and when prices would go back to normal...but til then, let us all pray for Panay so that despite the calamity that they underwent, they would still rise up from it and be able to move on.

Let the blessings come and flow to those who need it. For all of us here who are safe and well sheltered, prayers would be our best form of help.

To those who were concerened, offered comforting text messages, for those who even offered cash (thanks...but maybe next time, I got it covered for now..hehe), for my friends in the church and my Nomads friends in Ramos who actually went to the grocery with me and carried the box of supplies---in behalf of my family, A MILLION THANKS.




No comments: